Most drivers have heard about GPS navigation – and many might see a GPS device as a technology gadget that is a map for the rich guy.
GPS is fortunately so much more – and when we compare the maps available to the user to all the printed maps that a road users might have to buy, this will appear to be not only a better option, but also a less expensive option! A GPS device is so much more than a collection of directions from point A to B!
What are the benefits of a GPS device I need to know when buying/ purchasing a GPS device?
We would like to share some of the benefits of GPS technology and devices:
• The use of a satellite navigation system improves driver behaviour in unknown areas, heightens alertness and reduces stress levels.
• An international study revealed that the use of a GPS device reduces the amount of miles driven by 16 percent and reduces travel time in an unknown area by 18 percent. GPS systems assist motorists to in identifying the location of features on, near, or adjacent to the road networks.
• These include service stations, maintenance and emergency services and supplies, entry and exit ramps, damage to the road system, etc.
• Motorists are alerted through a constantly updated database of accident blackspots, primary school zones, safety camera locations and other hazardous stretches of road.
• New developments include research to provide warnings to drivers of potential critical situations, such as traffic violations or crashes.
• GPS speed camera detectors help motorists drive within the local speed limits, ensuring safer and worry- free motoring.
• The use of a navigation system increases driver awareness and reduces stress
• Before setting out, the motorists adds his destination address on the system’s in-dash touch pad, and within seconds, arrows on the moving map and a kindly woman’s voice guide you on your way. Most systems even enable you to specify the easiest, quickest or most scenic route.
• Motorists also receive information on the current speed, average speed, maximum speed reached and estimated time to reach the destination.
• Real time traffic information is available and not dependent on road or weather conditions