Johannesburg, 23 October 2009 – TomTom announces that the TomTom for iPhone navigation application can be purchased in the Apple iTunes App Store starting today.
“With TomTom for iPhone, millions of iPhone users can now benefit from the same easy-to-use and intuitive interface, turn-by-turn spoken navigation and unique routing technology that our 30 million portable navigation device users rely on every day,” said Joost Jetten Vice President Sales Sub Sahara Africa of TomTom. “As the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions and digital maps, TomTom is the most natural fit for an advanced navigation application on the iPhone.”
The TomTom app for iPhone 3G and 3GS users includes a map of Southern Africa from Tele Atlas, and is available to download through http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app from US$79.99*.
TomTom app for iPhone key features
Furthermore, the TomTom app for iPhone comes with an extensive safety camera database including verified safety camera information. This means drivers are informed ahead of time about any safety cameras on their route, encouraging road safety, while saving money on fines at the same time.
Additional TomTom app for iPhone features include:
Best routing and maps
• Navigation software including fast route planning and clear voice instructions
• Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed
• Route demo or map of route when trip planning
• Latest Tele Atlas maps of Southern Africa
Easy to use and personalize
• User interface fully optimized with iPhone.
• Multiple display options including landscape and portrait navigation view
• Night and day color mode for optimized screen visibility in varying light conditions
• User interface available in 18 languages**
• Change view settings (2D or 3D map display)
• Easy to download from iTunes App Store
Complete phone and map integration
• Multi-touch gestures such as tap, swipe, pinch and zoom to operate the application and zoom in and out of the map
• Navigation to contacts in address book
• Points-of-interest search and call capabilities from iPhone
Pricing and Availability
Apple will make regional versions of the TomTom for iPhone application for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users, available today on http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app
• The TomTom app for iPhone with maps of Southern Africa is available from US$79.99
Requirements for use on the iPhone 3G or 3GS include phone installation of OS3.0 and installation of iTunes on the PC or Mac.
* Based on the currency exchange rate of 23 October, 2009 the local currency price for this application would be R599.99.
** Included user interface languages: Catalan, Czech, Dutch, Danish, English UK, English US, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese BR, Slovak, Spanish, Spanish LA, Swedish and Turkish.
– END –
• For more information on the TomTom app for iPhone go to: http://www.tomtom.com/tomtom-app
• Watch the TomTom for iPhone demonstration at Apple’s WWDC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwq2_HGJ1A
• Digital press materials: for digital press materials, photos and videos, visit the Press Extranet: http://extranet.tomtom.com . Username: press-tt, password: TomTom
T: +27 11 470 5900
C: +27 82 557 0424